Friday, January 23, 2009

Cary/Apex first post

"That must be AWFUL! I can't imagine not eating ANY wheat!" 

This is the response I get from friends, family, and strangers when I explain why my daughter cannot eat something.  Occasionally I clarify that it is not just wheat, but actually gluten… at other times I just nod my head.  

However, the truth is that helping my daughter live gluten free is not awful. 
Frustrating? Yes: Did we run out of the "safe" snacks that we keep in the car?
Stressful? Sometimes: Did the waiter really understand that she can NOT eat anything with gluten? 
Complicated? Frequently: I thought they would have some fruit or "safe" ice cream for dessert here.

Even though my daughter's dietary needs can be an obstacle, we never want to limit her life because she has to limit what she can eat.  We love to eat out, enjoy different foods, experiment with recipes, and benefit from all that the Cary and Apex area has to offer families—we just have to do a little research beforehand. 

In this part of the blog, you'll find GF information specific to Cary and Apex.  My goal is to help expand on Zach's incredible collection of GF resourses. 

No comments: