Thursday, July 16, 2009

Grocery Store Review: Walmart

I don't know about you, but I am always looking for ways to keep my grocery bill to a minimum. I used to be one of those coupon clippers, and could get a lot of food for near to free, but most of those items are laden with gluten and I have since cancelled my News and Observer Subscription.  I was one of "those" who only got the paper for the coupons, occasionally I glanced at the headlines, but if I were honest, I really glanced at the front page and the comics.  

I live in West Cary, as in, just about as far as you can get from Trader Joes and Whole Foods and still have a Cary address.  Which isn't really so bad, but I have to admit, the trek to that side of town still seems like a trek, and often times, hardly worth it.

So I have to admit I have paid more.  I became acutely aware of what Harris Teeeter carried that was gluten free, and Food Lion as well.  Most of the time I would do just fine, and found myself only going to the other side of Cary on occasion.  

A few weeks ago, those of us in West Cary celebrated the opening of the new Walmart naer I-540 and Hwy 54.  And as I always do when I walk into a new grocery store, I immediately started checking aisles for gluten free options.  There were several that I was aware of, not because of any markers or tags on the shelves, but because I know what brands have gluten and which ones label correctly at this point, but imagine my surprise when I also stumbled upon a section completely dedicated to GLUTEN FREE PRODUCTS!

Walmart we welcome you to west Cary, and we thank you for catering to our gluten free lifestlye!

1 comment:

If It Barks said...

So do tell...are the prices on the gluten free products Walmart prices??? (ie - less than that at other stores)